Looking for a Carpenter to join our growing Turner team in Des
Moines, Iowa area. Turner is central Iowa's largest General Contractor by volume specializing in commercial construction of all sizes with a growing self-perform division. Competitive
pay and excellent benefits provided including: Medical, Dental, Vision, Paid Vacation and Paid Holidays!
Foreman, Superintendent, and Trades Manager.
This is a day shift position, traditionally Monday-Friday with a start time between 5am to 7am. Opportunity for additional hours during the week and weekends.
Responsible for organizing and completing related
tasks at building construction projects. Including, but no limited to
constructing, erecting, installing, repairing structures and fixtures of wood, plywood,
and wallboard, using carpenter's hand tools and power tools, while confirming
to local building codes.
- Possess the skills necessary to complete rough carpentry work, site logistical work, fencing, deck and platform building, protection systems, construction waste areas, and jobsite cleanup
- Shape or cut materials to specified measurements
- Erect scaffolding and ladders as needed
- Install structures and fixtures including but not limited to windows, doors, interior framing, slotted channel (strut) framing, Bathroom partitions, acoustical ceiling, millwork, floorings, trim and hardware
- Review jobsite needs with the superintendents & foreman and coordinates construction.
- Estimate, inventory, monitor, and request time, staff, material, and equipment needed to complete work
- Operate equipment such as forklifts, backhoe, skid steer, excavator, compactors, and construction hoist
- Assist with the overall site safety and quality programs as required and ensuring Trade employees/subcontractors compliance with Turner standards and all applicable safety codes, regulations, and jobsite security
- Maintain positive working relationships with customers, contractors, suppliers and other employees
- May need to travel
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Display a high level of teamwork, integrity, commitment, and leadership in daily operations
- May perform other duties as necessary or assigned
- Candidate should have at least three (3) years of carpentry experience.
- Experience with metal studs, drywall, acoustic ceilings, doors and hardware preferred.
- Ability to read project drawings and basic knowledge of construction surveying
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of buildings or other structures, foundations, and framing
- Knowledge of arithmetic, basic geometry, and their applications to carpentry
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including uses, repair, and maintenance associated with carpentry and woodworking
- Ability to accommodate night and weekend work as needed
- Must be able to comprehend safety instructions and signage, communicate effectively in emergency situations and understand written safety instructions from tool and equipment manufacturers
- Valid driver's license preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of
those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential
functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing
the duties of this job, the employee regularly works on-site at the
construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical
parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather
conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments
is usually moderate to very loud.
Turner is an Equal
with Disabilities/ Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. VEVRAA Federal Contractor