Performs laboratory procedures, quality control and quality assurance measures as outlined in the Laboratory Procedure Manual. Tests patient specimens, correlates data and reports results in a timely manner to affect quality patient care.
- Follows lab procedures for specimen handling and processing. Performs lab procedures of moderate and high complexity in accordance with standards set forth in the approved Laboratory Procedures Manual. Reports and maintains records of patient test results according to protocol.
- Adheres to quality control and quality assurance procedures with appropriate and accurate documentation. Follows laboratory's established corrective action procedures. Performs proficiency testing, reports results according to protocol. Diagnoses laboratory instrument malfunctions, performs preventive and corrective maintenance/repairs and maintains records of actions.
- Ensures that lab standards of timeliness and quality of patient test results are met. Recognizes unexpected or unreasonable results, identifies the cause and takes appropriate action. Brings unusual situations to the attention of the supervisor.
- Enters and retrieves information using the laboratory computer system where required.
- Assists in the evaluation and development of new procedures, methods and instrumentation.
- Performs the responsibilities of phlebotomy, accessioning, and specimen processing on an as needed basis to maintain efficient laboratory operations.
- Assures that adequate department supply levels are maintained in a cost effective manner.
- Assists in the orientation of new employees and medical staff.
- Adheres to lab safety and infection control practices. Follows department and organization dress code policies. Wears protective garb where appropriate.
- Applies professional knowledge and judgment to analytical and decision making functions. Advises providers and clinical staff of correct procedures for specimen collection and handling. Maintains confidentiality of patient/medical information. Participates in continuing education programs and in-services, maintains an up to date level of knowledge in the laboratory field.
- Adheres to regional and laboratory service management policies and procedures. Participates in the development and implementation of internal Quality Assurance monitors relating to quality of care and service.
- Performs other related duties as directed.
Position is based in Microbiology department and will be cross trained in other areas for coverage needs. Additional coverage needs including holiday will be assisgned as needed for coverage.
- Bachelor's degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory, chemical, physical or biological science required. Proper documentation for applicable degree is required (i.e. copies of diplomas, transcripts, or International Degree Equivalency Report). Major must be clearly stated on the document. If diploma does not indicate the major, an additional document that states major is required.
License, Certification, Registration
- One of the following certifications is required: MT (ASCP) or MLS (ASCP) or MLT (AMT) or CLS(NCS) or MT(AAB).
- Skills necessary to perform all procedures contained in the Laboratory Procedure Manual to include specimen processing, test performance, and reporting of test results required.
- Demonstrated skills in organizing, prioritizing and problem solving required.
- Demonstrated communication skills required.
- Proficiency in the use of applicable computer software.
- One (1) year of recent full time (or equivalent) general clinical laboratory experience preferred.